Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery
A Chicago potter’s somewhat slanted view of clay & play
Categories: art fair, pottery, soda-fired, stamped, textures, vases

Also fresh from this week’s soda kiln, a new collection of textured square slab vases… in three sizes!!! With a different texture “picture” on each side of the vase! Perfect for the soon-to-be-here Spring flowers!!! And making their “big debut” next weekend at the Prairie View Arts Invitational in Naperville!

Save

Save

Categories: ornaments, soda-fired, stamped

Never too soon for Christmas ornaments, right? Well here’s what they look like fresh out of the soda kiln. Bright & shiny. Next I will add a bent wire ring on the top to hang them from. And since I love making them… I’m sure there’s another batch or three in my not-so-distant future!

Categories: soda-fired, stamped, teapot

And a couple soda-fired teapots fresh from the kiln…
err, well okay, in the photos they’re still IN the kiln. Technicalities.
Pretty pleased with these regardless of where they are now!

Categories: kiln firing, mugs, soda-fired, stamped

Here’s a quick peek at a few of the mugs that came out of this week’s soda kiln. Some beautiful colors & soda effects… and a crazy cool flashing mark on one of them!!! Not sure how it happened… nor if I like it yet. I must have had something sitting too close to it in the kiln.

What do you think about the crazy flashing mark?

Categories: production, stamped, textures, vases

Good thing I’ve been making more of my textured square vases…
because the ones used for Patti’s centerpieces pretty much cleaned me out!
So I’ve made another batch of them… this time in three sizes!!!

So I’ve been making more, adding flashing slip details and setting them out to dry. I decided to dry them on plastic grid for better air-flow, as well as some tile “weights” on the tops to keep them from warping or twisting as they dry. Not an exact science… but it can’t hurt, right?

Categories: flowers, soda-fired, stamped, vases

I just love when a vase gets to fulfill its destiny with a beautiful floral arrangement.
Like these textured square vases that were used for a birthday celebration last weekend.

Special thanks to Patti for choosing my soda-fired vases for her centerpieces…
and then sharing the photos too!!!

Each a beauty individually, but in a large grouping… even better!

Save

Save

Save

Categories: pottery, production, stamped, teapot

So my teapots are drying slowly. I wanted to take another photo of the sets as I was moving them onto a raised plastic grid for better airflow and even drying. So here they are gain… my “five” sets of teapots & cups!

TEAPOT SET A

TEAPOT SET C

TEAPOT SET D

TEAPOT SET E

And then there were FOUR!!!
Yes, like a bull in a china shop… quite literally… I lifted the wareboard, spun around and ran right into a stack of clay boxes. Yes, those clay boxes have been there for months!!! Nothing new. Nothing that should have surprised me.¬† I was just moving too fast, not paying attention, And in the blink of an eye, the board hit the top box, everything toppled and I managed only to save a cup. Everything else went crumbling down. At least it’s nice to see how evenly thrown my lid was????

Mwah, mwah, mwah…

Save

Save

Categories: pottery, process, production, stamped, teapot

For the final challenge of my LILLSTREET THROWDOWN class, my students were tasked with making a teapot with matching cups & saucers. They have also learned that I love a good challenge… so I’m now making the same.

But you know I can’t make just ONE… so I’m doing FIVE!!!
All assembled and freshly slip painted with colored flashing slips for the soda kiln.

TEAPOT SET A

TEAPOT SET B

TEAPOT SET C

TEAPOT SET D

TEAPOT SET E

Categories: classes, lillstreet, process, production, stamped, teapot

So we’re now in the final week of classes for this session. Which means my LILLSTREET THROWDOWN students are working frantically on their final challenge… okay, maybe a “double” challenge?! A week and a half ago in class they got the assignment of a teapot for the last class. So they all started out making their best renditions… although several of them had never made a teapot before!

Then last week in class I surprised them with one last twist of a challenge. Now that they have a teapot started… now they need to make two cups & saucers to go along with that teapot! All to be “finished” greenware by this Thursday’s last class. SURPRISE!!!

And of course, I too was challenged to make a teapot along with them… so I am! You know I love a good challenge. So I’m working on my teapots…. yes, plural… you know I can’t do just ONE of anything!!!

Save

Categories: mugs, process, production, stamped

Attaching handles to freshly stamped mugs.
I always attach the top first, and then “play with” the bottom attachment
to get the size & proportion right… like this one that’s still a bit too big!